PewDiePie donates $1.5m to charity
Felix Kjellberg aka PewDiePie is a bit of a strange one, and most notable for his stunts on YouTube that have garnered him, hate, dislike, and in some cases landed the eccentric gentleman into more than his fair share of hot water.
In fact, a trip around YouTube and also the internet via Google will reveal a lot of stories and articles about just how bad he is.
Yet there’s another side to the Swedish born Kjellberg which many people don’t see.
Recently PewDiePie dropped a bombshell that he had generated, through YouTube membership revenue alone, a massive $1,520,003 and rather than squandering it by buying a gold-plated car or something, he donated that entire amount to charity.
Not just part of it, but the whole amount.
When billionaires are staging elaborate space races, and squandering their chance to help their fellow human beings along comes a YouTuber like Felix and gives to these charities:
- Winston’s Wish
- Save the Children (Lebanon)
- Blue Ocean Foundation
- Comic Relief / Red Nose Day
- Book Trust
- World Food Program
- Make A Wish
- Alzheimer’s Research
- Centre For Effective Altruism
Obviously, this has gone down extremely well with his fans, over 160,000 people liked his post about the donation, almost 3000 or more comments have come flooding in from people who expressed their praise for this donation. This isn’t the first time he’s done it though; we were able to track down more cases where the internet jokester had given to worthy causes.
- Water: He raised over $446,612
- Save the Children: $630,000
- (RED): $1.3 million
- Hundreds and thousands of dollars for Ellen’s ‘Best Friends’ Gaming Charity Competition, with the likes of fellow YouTuber Markiplier and more. All the money went to: Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Hope for Holt, Malaria No More, Oceana, SpecialEffect, and War Child.
- World Wildlife Fund: This happened in 2012 and PewDiePie ran for ‘King of the Web’, he settled for ‘Gaming King of the Web’ and donated every dollar of his winnings to the WWF.
- (CRY) Child Rights for You: $200,000
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness): $30,000 with the help of Jack Black in the wake of YouTuber Etika’s tragic suicide in 2019.
- He used his gaming collective Revelmode to partner with Humble Bundle and raised funds for the Crisis Text Line.
- He gives his own money regularly to the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- Team Trees: YouTuber and sensation MR BEAST created a tree planting initiative to plant 20 million trees as a celebration of his 20 million subscribers. PewDiePie dropped $50,000 of his own money to help fund the campaign.
- Black Lives Matter: In the wake of George Floyd’s death, PewDiePie raised $106,000 for the movement via YouTube.
- Wildfires Emergency Appeal: $1,600 during the Australian fires and crises.
There are probably other charity donations we don’t even know about, and digging even further we can pretty much see that he gives to charity a lot more than he lets on. He might be crude, troublesome at times, and rough around the edges. But under all that internet YouTuber bluster and attitude is someone who puts the billionaires of the planet to shame.
Good on you Pewds, even if you crossed lines in the past.